InfoQube (IQ) comes in 2 flavors:
- Installable (Win XP and up, Mac, Linux in Windows emulation)
- Portable (Win XP and up)
The portable flavor is identical to the installable one, not a scaled down / limited one. It works in even the most secured / locked down work environments / Internet cafés.
It can run from a USB drive, does not write to the registry or to any local file. It leaves absolutely no traces behind.
The portable flavor is in fact more immune to PC setup, so it will, in some cases, work correctly when the installable will not. These cases are rare though and both flavors generally work correctly
1. Using the Installable flavor
- Uninstall any previous versions (using the control panel Add/Remove Programs)
- Download the InfoQube Installer
- Unzip and run setup.exe.
- When upgrading from a previous version, simply run setup and your settings will remain intact
2. Using the Portable flavor
- Download the Portable InfoQube Zip file
- Extract to any non-protected folder (local HD or portable). So do not copy IQ Portable to the Program Files folder !!! (e.g. Use c:\SomeFolder, MyDocuments\SomeFolder, etc)
- If you wish to have a desktop shortcut:
- Right-click on the file InfoQube.exe, select - Send To > Desktop
- You can drag this shortcut to the Quick Launch section of the Windows Start Menu
- If you wish to add it to the Start Menu:
- Right-click on the file InfoQube.exe and select Copy.
- Right-click on the “Start” button and select either “Open” or “Open All Users” Then, open the “Programs” folder.
- Right click on a blank space in the “Programs” folder and select “Paste Shortcut”
- If you receive a security warning when starting or using InfoQube, run the batch file UnblockIQPortable.bat
- When upgrading from a previous version, simply paste the content of the zip file to the previous version folder and overwrite the files. Your settings will remain intact.
Once installed, the following folder structure should be present (folder "InfoQube" may be named differently, depending on where you installed it):
3. Installing Visual C++ 2008 redistributable
Both flavors required that Visual C++ 2008 redistributable package be installed (VC++ 9.0). The VC++ 9.0 runtime is typically already pre-installed on Windows computers, but for older computers it may not be. If not, you'll receive a registration error message (Installable flavor) or a program lockup (Portable flavor).
To fix, download and install the VC9 redist from here:
4. Installing the Extensions
Whether you're using the installable or portable flavors, you may want to install the extensions. These allow 1-click clipping into IQ.
4.1 Install the Internet Explorer Extension
- Close all instances of IE
- In Windows Explorer, double-click on the file InfoQubeIEExtensionInstall.exe. The file is in the same folder as the main InfoQube executable (InfoQube.exe). Alternatively, it can be downloaded here (unzip downloaded file and place content in the IQ folder).
- Click Yes to confirm modification to the registry (you'll need admin priviledges to do this).
- In Thunderbird, Tools > Add-ons and browse to the file InfoQubeTBExtension.xpi. The file is in the same folder as the InfoQube program
5. Installing the Help File
6. Installing Microsoft Web Components
If you have Microsoft Office installed (2000 - 2003 and up), InfoQube can use its Pivot Tables and Charts. These are great for data analysis and reporting.
- Office 2000, 2002 (XP) or 2003 is installed: The Office Web Components are already installed
- Office 2007 and up: The Office 2003 Web Components can be downloaded here and here (local copy)
See TBD on how to use Pivot Tables and Charts
7. Installing Support Programs
InfoQube can make use of external programs, such as:
- Microsoft Word, BlockNote and WizHTMLEditor to edit MHT documents
- StylusLabs Write to edit Ink documents
- Inkscape to edit drawings (SVG documents)
7.1 Install MHT Editors
- InfoQube lets you use any 2 MHT editors
- To edit an MHT document with these, click on the corresponding button on the toolbar or press the shortcut key (Ctrl + W and Ctrl + Shift + W)
- Download and install these and enter the paths in Tools > Options > General > HTML > MS Word / Alternate MHT Editor
7.2 Install Ink Document Editor
InfoQube uses StylusLabs Write
(free) as its Ink editor. Write is described as a Word processor for handwriting. Its support for ink is outstanding.
To install the Ink Editor:
- Download zip file from StylusLabs web site. (local link here)
- Write is a portable App. It is therefore recommended to:
- Create a folder C:\PortableApps
- Create a sub-folder StylusLabsWrite
- Extract the content of the zip file into this folder
- In InfoQube, do Tools > Options > General > HTML > Stylus Labs Ink Editor path. Point to the above path and select Write.exe. Click OK
- Write is also available as an installable program, so instead of steps 1 and 2 above, you can download and install the setup available here.
Configuring the Ink Editor
To configure Write, start the program and click on the 3 vertical dots on the right of the window and select Preferences. Select "Show advanced preferences". The dialog will now show the following sections:
- User Interface
- Document List
- Ruled Tools
If you have an active pen, in Input, set "Mouse input mode" to Ignore
In User Interface
- Set your preferences
- Click on Edit Toolbar and drag-drop icons to customize the Toolbar, typically adding:
- Create Link
- Full Screen
- Create Whiteboard and Open Whiteboard (if you plan to use the new real-time collaboration on Ink documents)
In Document List
- Uncheck "Prompt before saving document"
- select "Single file mode"
- Set File extension to slink
7.3 Install Inkscape (SVG document editor)
- Inkscape latest version can be downloaded here (official site)
- In InfoQube, do Tools > Options > General > HTML > Inkscape SVG Editor path. Point to the above path and select Inkscape.exe. Click OK
8. Registry Settings
IQ comes with a few registry tweaks files:
- EMLRegistryFix.reg: Use this if EML files are not displayed correctly in the HTML pane.
- OutlookProtocol2007.reg, OutlookProtocol2010.reg, OutlookProtocol2013.reg: Use this if hyperlinks using the Outlook protocol do not work (Outlook:UUID).
See this reference on how to tune this depending on the exact version of Outlook
To apply these: Right-click on this file and select Run as Administrator.
9. Copying user settings and IQ configuration files
Whether installing onto a new drive/folder (USB or other) or moving from Installable to Portable flavors, users will want to move their settings with them. All settings are saved in the following folder:
- C:\Documents and settings\YourUserName\Application Data\InfoQube (XP)
- C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\InfoQube (Vista and up)
- Portable: Your IQ folder\Users\YourUserName
This folder contains the following files:
||Configuration of the docked panels
||Used by content clippers. See Configuring the Clipping Footer
||Your customization of the main menu
||Your customization of the HTML pane menu
||Default template for new HTML documents
||Default template for new Ink documents
||Default template for new MHT documents
||Default template for new SVG documents
||IQ options (Tools>>Options>>Program Settings)
||Window sizes, Dialog settings and values, etc
||User specific VBScript code: View>>Visual Basic Editor>>User Code
You may choose to copy all or only certain of these files