Search
Saturday, November 10, 2007 ..:: Forums ::.. Register  Login

Welcome to the SQLNotes forum. All users are welcomed to post questions and/or comments. 
Your help, comments, expertise is extremely valuable, it has and will continue to influence the development of SQLNotes.
Please note that Opera file download does now work. Use IE or FF for best browsing experience.

Forums  SQLNotes Beta01  Announcements  Ecco Import... yes!
Previous Previous

Next Next
New Post 10/24/2007 1:18 AM
User is offline PPL
953 posts
1st Level Poster

Ecco Import... yes! 
Modified By PPL  on 10/24/2007 12:25:32 AM)

I finally got to look at importing Ecco files into SQLNotes. (Users have been asking this since day 1 )

It turned out to be incredibly simple (took just 4 hours to code it!). Ecco data structure is a subset of SQLNotes', so it was just a matter of filling SQLNotes objects with Ecco's.

It may not be completely bug-free, but version 0.9.18 (out this week for sure) will have the Ecco importer:

• Creates all fields (warns if an existing field is in conflict)
  • Creates all items
  • Fills-in all item field values
  • Creates all item-subs relationships

Rich text, notepads, filters, forms, etc are not imported.

The code uses plain-vanilla Ecco (no Ecco-Ext).

Pierre (Win XP Pro SP2, Admin, Auto-updates ON, Firefox, Acer TravelMate 660 graphics)

New Post 10/24/2007 11:02 AM
User is offline jsonnabend
179 posts
5th Level Poster

Re: Ecco Import... yes! 
That's brilliant! I had recently tweaked my Ecco to Access backup utility and commented to my wife that going from there to SQLNotes would be quick. Now I won't have to do it.

One quick question, how do you pull data from Ecco? Via DDE? If so, how do you ensure you've pulled every item?

- Jeff

New Post 10/24/2007 11:17 AM
User is offline PPL
953 posts
1st Level Poster

Thanks!

I actually wanted to contact you to chat about how you did it vs how I wanted to do it. But I had some time last evening and didn't plan for it too much.

I've got to leave now, but I get as much items as I possibly can: (since as you and I know, Ecco cannot return all items)

• All items that have a folder value
  • All sub-items of the above list

Pierre (Win XP Pro SP2, Admin, Auto-updates ON, Firefox, Acer TravelMate 660 graphics)

New Post 10/24/2007 12:01 PM
User is offline jsonnabend
179 posts
5th Level Poster

Modified By jsonnabend  on 10/24/2007 11:03:28 AM)

Your approach seems the safest. It leaves out orphans, which I think is alright.

I had been looping ID's from 1 to 64,000, based on the notion that 64,000 was the limit for item id's. That proved incorrect, so I now loop to 100,000, figuring I'll catch everything.

I decided recently that I wasn't happy with that, and so I had planned (and still plan for my backup utility) to use the approach you've decided to use.

One additional thought: I will be using a sorted list/hash list to store the ID's I collect and will reject duplicate ID's.  That should speed things up when I need to grab item text and folder values.

- Jeff

New Post 10/25/2007 2:42 PM
User is offline PPL
953 posts
1st Level Poster

>One additional thought: I will be using a sorted list/hash list to store the ID's I collect and will reject duplicate ID's.  That should speed things up when I need to grab item text and folder values.

I do the same

New Post 10/27/2007 4:25 PM
User is offline Banawana
2 posts
No Ranking

I have been slowly working with SQLNotes and I have found it to be a relatively pleasant transition, a very friendly program, and a program that will be incredibly useful in coordinating my life and work.   I wish I could contribute more, but my talents do not lie in that direction.

This is the compliment section.....Great work, kudos, nice design, you've extended Ecco nicely, and the ability to transfer Ecco material over removes my anticipation of going through 9 years worth of material and duplicating it.  The one thing which got me excited at the end of September was the brief mention of Outlook synchronization.  That is the one part that will enable me to indirectly sync to my pocketpc,  increase the portability and engage the full utility and functionality of SQLNotes.  I know you are busy and you are doing a great job with the program now.   About how far down the timeline does Outlook syncronization look to be (only because the tease was briefly mentioned last month).

I don't what kind of positive feedback you would like (other than monetary), but I'll give it if you let me know (and the latter too).

I am very appreciative of your work and sharing,

(I hope this message doesn't get me bounced from the forum at large),

Respectfully,

Ray

New Post 10/27/2007 11:54 PM
User is offline PPL
953 posts
1st Level Poster

Modified By PPL  on 10/29/2007 4:20:19 PM)

First, thanks for the compliments. Many, many hours have gone in this project. I'm glad that you may find it useful. It is not an easy program to grasp. Templates will be developed to help users.

The one thing which got me excited at the end of September was the brief mention of Outlook synchronization.  That is the one part that will enable me to indirectly sync to my pocketpc,  increase the portability and engage the full utility and functionality of SQLNotes. [...]  About how far down the timeline does Outlook syncronization look to be?

It is actually coming quickly. Calendars (Outlook and Ecco style)are the next big step and Outlook/GoogleCalendar compatibility is a key feature. So the very structure of the SQLNotes calendar will depend on these 2. I expect to have a working prototype by the end of Nov.

To have excellent compatibility generally implies to have similar internal structures so a detailed analysis is required. As an example, in Ecco, each item could have multiple recurring events (each date folder had one). Outlook can only have 1 recurring event per item (So birthdays are separate items in Outlook).

Alarms on the other hand will be like nothing you've seen before (see separate post on alarms )

I don't what kind of positive feedback you would like (other than monetary), but I'll give it if you let me know (and the latter too).

To see people using it and finding it useful is great [edit] As for the latter, there is the Other Infos > Support page  !

New Post 11/7/2007 11:51 AM
User is offline largo84
10 posts
No Ranking

Just installed v0.9.19 and imported an ECCO file (I think). It says it imported 605 items. Now what? They don't show up in contacts. Where do I find what I imported? I'm sure it's something obvious I'm missing.

Rob...............

New Post 11/7/2007 11:58 AM
User is offline PPL
953 posts
1st Level Poster

In the properties pane, you'll find the imported Ecco folders. Double-click to open them

Notepads need to be re-generated. View>Grids>New Grid to create one

New Post 11/7/2007 2:32 PM
User is offline largo84
10 posts
No Ranking

I see the properties pane but see nothing about ECCO folders.

ROb...........

Previous Previous

Next Next
  Forums  SQLNotes Beta01  Announcements  Ecco Import... yes!
Copyright 2007 by NeoTech Systems   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement